Must Be a US Citizen.
- Work as part of a small team researching and developing solutions to challenges related to the use of silver ions as a biocide in spacecraft potable water systems. The principal challenges are in material compatibility, sensing, and dosing systems (passive, chemical, and/or electrochemical).
- Perform research on theoretical concepts to aid in design of experiments.
- Design and conduct laboratory experiments, collect and analyze the data, and report results in papers and presentations.
- Participate in test rig design and parts specification.
- Design, and develop externally-designed, solutions to the challenges.
- Perform other duties as required. Qualifications
External Required Education/Experience/Skills:
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school. – Testing and/or applied research experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to coordinate support from a wide range of technical disciplines.
- Basic knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures in the field, such as mechanical system design, engineering drawings and sketches, material selection, thermal testing, design software and tools, and office software.
- Chemical, Electrical, or Materials Engineering degree.
- Experience with ECLSS hardware.
- Knowledge or experience in electrochemistry.
- Knowledge or experience in materials science (e.g., material composition, surface properties, heat and surface treatments, etc.).
- Knowledge or experience in materials manufacturing (e.g., coatings, raw material manufacture, etc.).
- Experience working in a laboratory environment.
- LabVIEW use and programming experience.
- Knowledge or experience with potable water treatment.
- Familiarity with microbiology concepts.
- Experience with JSC organizations, processes, and procedures.