Must be a US Citizen
Are you passionate about human space exploration or understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a dynamic and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your commitment, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire humans all over the globe. We need you to bring innovative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will benefit the quality of life of people around the world. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on new challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration.
We have the unique and significant role to partner with NASA at Johnson Space Center (JSC), to be part of every human spaceflight program – the International Space Station (ISS), NASA’s Orion spacecraft, which will carry astronauts into deep space, and Gateway, the orbiting platform providing the home for astronauts to work and travel back and forth to the moon’s surface, and serving as the platform for deep space exploration. From critical systems on the ISS to enable astronauts to live and work in space; to performing advanced development for systems leading to deep space exploration; to being part of the foundation for Gateway.
We also partner with NASA at JSC, the only NASA center in the United States to curate all astromaterial samples returned from exploration missions, to perform curation services, orbital debris analysis, and basic research to further humankind’s understanding of the origins of our solar system.
We need you to be a part of our team!
**We are actively searching for qualified candidates for this potential opening, however, we do not have assurance at this time if and when the position will be finalized and opened. Because we have strong reason to believe the position will be approved soon, we are proceeding with identifying qualified candidates and conducting interviews.**
As a Structural Aerospace Loads and Dynamics Engineer you will:
- Conduct linear and nonlinear modeling and coupled loads analysis of dynamics problems involving aerospace systems.
- Perform structural static and dynamic modeling tests, define test instrumentation requirements and data acquisition, and perform post-test data assessment.
- Finite Element Modeling, perform standard modeling checks, reduce models (using Super Elements and/or Craig-Bampton methods), and develop data recovery matrices and load transformation matrices.
- Perform math modeling such as Finite Element Models, Super Elements, Craig-Bampton, Boundary Element Model Statistical Energy Analysis, and Hybrid.
- Devise a structural analysis model to indicate and verify critical structural member loads and stresses as a function of flight load, and vibration environments.
- Use commercial analysis tools, such as NASTRAN, LS-DYNA, IDEAS, FEMAP, PATRAN, MATLAB, PYTHON, MATHCAD, CAM, ADAMS, FORTRAN, and C++.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and ten (10) years of direct engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and eight (8) years of direct engineering experience, or PhD. and four (4) years of direct engineering experience.
- Proficiency in NASTRAN (MSC or NX).
- Proficiency in FEMAP or PATRAN.
- Proficiency in MATLAB or Python.
- Familiarity with desktop software applications, MS Office is required.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- LS-DYNA, MSC/ADAMS, VA-one, Atune, and IMAC experience.
- Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering degree (ABET accredited college or university preferred) and 10 or more years of experience in the field or in a related area (all levels).
In addition to exciting career opportunities we also have:
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Comprehensive Benefit Package (medical, dental & vision)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Much, much more!
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has been advertised.
Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs (5% of time).
Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.