The Machinist 1 produces machined parts and assemblies to required specifications and delivery schedules.
- Read, understand and follow engineering drawings, generate CNC programs, operate CNC Milling machine, operate manual mill/lathe/shop tools, and understand/follow work instructions.
- Interpret written instructions and specifications, plan and lay out work, use a variety of machinist’s hand tools and precision measuring instruments, set up and operate standard machine tools.
- Monitor controls to regulate machining factors (e.g. feed, speed, coolant flow, depth and angle of cut), ensure proper set-up requirements, sequence operations, and dimensions and tolerance levels of finished products.
- Confer with Engineers, CNC programmers and production management to resolve machining issues and propose process improvements.
- Perform and document quality checks during machining operations using measuring instruments or gauges to ensure fabricated components meet specifications.
- Make standard shop computations relating to dimensions of work, tooling, feeds, and speeds of machining
- Have knowledge of the working properties of the common metals, selecting standard materials, parts, and equipment required for this work
- Fit and Assemble parts into mechanical equipment
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Responsible for compliance with Safety, Health and Environmental plan; must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the Company’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel
- Responsible for compliance with the Quality Assurance Plan, policies and procedures
- Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance level as determined by the Company
- Responsible for completing all assigned training
- Machine, fabricate and/or assemble Flight or Non-flight detail parts and/or assemblies
- Track and report status of assigned tasks
- Support engineering in design for manufacture assessments
- Receive detailed instruction on job requirements and work under supervision.
- Use independent judgment, but seek supervisory direction when needed.
- Have frequent contact with engineering professionals and others within the Human Systems Engineering Department.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. REQUIRED: (must correspond with description listed on the Composite Rates and Skills Table)
1. Military, Community College or Technical Center Training Certificate in CNC and conventional machine operations (e.g CNC programming, Mill and Lathe operation, Haas CNC Mills, Reading blueprints, drawings, shop mathematics, etc)
2yrs verified experience working as a CNC/manual machinist
* Must have knowledge in design techniques, tools and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
* Strong background in the practical application of technology including the application of principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
* Must have strong mathematical background in arithmetic, algebra, geometry as applied to drawing interpretation and machining applications.
* Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in the manufacturing or fabrication for components, parts and equipment.
* Must have necessary skills and experience to machine jigs, fixtures and jaws as required for work piece holding for production machining.
* Must be able to study and comprehend blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence operations, and set up requirements.
* Must have a strong background in operation of CNC and conventional milling machines, lathes, band saws, metal shears, breaks and drill presses.
* Proficient in the use of a CAM program software and a working knowledge of drafting concepts including English/metric conversion, tolerances, etc.
* Computer literate in a range of applications including Microsoft Word and Excel.