Must be a US Citizen
- Report directly to the Electronics and Electrical Section Manager as part of group of over 30 other Electronics and Electrical Engineers.
- Work directly with NASA Johnson Space Center in designing the next generation of humanoid robot.
- Join the Valkyrie humanoid robot team in NASA’s Robotic Systems Technology Branch.
- Build on the success of the existing Valkyrie and Robonaut 2 humanoid robots and advance NASA’s ability to project a remote human presence and dexterous manipulation capability into challenging, dangerous, and distant environments both in space and here on earth.
- Contribute directly to the design of the next NASA humanoid robot with an emphasis on creating new, integrated electrical system designs for power distribution, battery and battery management systems, and electromechanical power conversion for high performance robot actuation.
- Support new designs from conception, analysis, and manufacturing, through to operational test and deployment.
- Work in a laboratory environment, following standard operating procedures.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position is posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and five (5) years of related engineering experience, or a MS degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and four (4) years of related engineering experience, or a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and zero (0) years of related experience.
- Experience with Power distribution system design and analysis.
- Experience with Battery stacks and Battery Management Systems (BMS).
- Exposure to Lithium-ion and/or related battery cell technologies.
- Familiarity with Electromechanical power conversion (high performance actuation, electric motors and motor drive electronics, etc.).
- Prior experience with electrical schematic entry and printed circuit board layout tools such as Altium Designer.
- Prior experience with microcontroller circuitry design and associated embedded software development environments.
- Familiarity with data interface protocols and associated hardware such as Ethernet, RS232, RS422, RS485, I2C, SPI etc.
on experience in the design, build, and test of robot hardware
A successful track record of fielding custom electrical systems in an operational setting.
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system and programming in C/C++ and Python.
- Experience in the hardware design of embedded systems (microcontrollers, FPGAs, sensor interfaces, I2C/SPI buses, UARTS, etc.).
- Experience with test hardware such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters, logic analyzers, function generators, electronic load banks, power supplies, power analyzers.
- Prior experience in design and test of analog instrumentation systems.
- Project based experience designing, building, testing, and troubleshooting power distribution electronics, battery systems, and other electrical hardware (requirements definition; system modeling and simulation; circuit analysis; PCB design, fabrication, and assembly; harness design and fabrication; requirements verification).
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers designing and building world-class, field-ready humanoid robots.
- Prior experience in design and test of power supply and conditioning systems.
- Proficient in MS Office programs, particularly MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.