Must be a US Citizen
- Report directly to the Electronics and Electrical Section Manager as part of group of over 30 other Electronics and Electrical Engineers.
- Work directly with the Lunar Rover System Team Lead and Engineers.
- Provide design and test support in various aspects of Electrical System Development in support of the Robotics Systems NASA Engineering Division.
- Support power systems development of next generation resource prospector lunar rover.
- Design, test, maintain rover power systems including energy storage.
- Become familiar with space flight systems and environments.
- Perform harness design, assembly, and installation.
- Review all Lunar Rover Power System Specifications.
- Develop power system architectures.
- Design and generate power system test hardware designs.
- Develop detailed test verification procedures.
- Work with electrical technicians to build and test designed systems.
- Review existing rover power system designs.
- Develop and test various breakout boxes and load emulation systems to verify power system performance.
- Perform troubleshooting and repair designed hardware as required.
- Conduct printed circuit board designs for various application needs.
- Develop test software modules to perform specific tests.
- Work in a laboratory environment, following standard operating procedures.
- Perform other duties as required and assigned.
This position is posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and five (5) years of related engineering experience, or a MS degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and four (4) years of related engineering experience, or a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and zero (0) years of related experience.
- Familiarity with solar charging, rechargeable batteries and primary battery systems.
- Experience with various current sensing techniques.
- Working knowledge of connector selection and wiring schemes for power systems.
- Prior experience with electrical schematic entry and printed circuit board layout tools such as Altium Designer.
- Prior experience with microcontroller, FPGA circuitry design and coding in associated embedded software/VHDL development environments.
- Ability to operate in an electronics lab and perform necessary troubleshooting tasks.
- Experience with test hardware such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters, logic analyzers, function generators, electronic load banks, power supplies, power analyzers.
- Familiarity with design applications voltages close to 300 VDC.
- Familiarity with power delivery and energy storage with cell capacities up to 20 kWh.
- Familiarity with data interface protocols and associated hardware such as Ethernet, RS232, RS422, RS485, I2C, SPI, etc.
- Prior experience with cable design.
- Prior experience in design and test of analog instrumentation systems.
- Prior experience in design and test of power supply and conditioning systems.
- Proficient in MS Office programs, particularly MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment.