Company Conformance Statement
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations
Employees are required to:
- Comply with all applicable safety and health-related rules, regulations, and procedures
- Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely
- Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions
- Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace
Purpose of the position
The main purpose of this position is to perform duties as an electrical engineer/technologist. Perform assigned electrical engineering duties as a PAE employee onsite at NASA’s Johnson Space Center. Evaluates and makes recommendations for changes or modifications to power generation and distribution, electrical controls, components, mechanisms, materials, circuitry, alarms, equipment, and processes. Ability to generate and present various reports. Strong fundamental knowledge and experience with electrical systems and electrical power distribution from a facilities and utilities electrical infrastructure standpoint.
Principal Responsibilities of the Position
- Troubleshoot facility and infrastructure electrical systems, electronic and electrical control systems, programming, equipment, etc. in accordance with the National Electric Code (NEC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), government policies, company and site procedures and industry regulations
- Capable of troubleshooting simple and complex electrical systems
- Performs walk-throughs of facilities for the purpose of developing outage support documentation
- Interact professionally with peers and customer
- Ability to diagnose facilities equipment involving checking voltages, components, gauges, as well as making programming adjustments to systems
- Utilize electrical schematics to diagnose, isolate and make recommendations for correcting electrical and electronics issues in a timely manner
- Knowledge of Programmable Logic Controls (PLCs), HMI Programming, digital and analog sensors, VFDs, generators, generator controls and interfaces
- Experience and extensive knowledge of low/medium/high voltage equipment, switch gear, load centers, contactors, motors, breakers, fuses, controls, sensors and motor control centers
- Must understand power distribution from the substation to the facilities
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Provide project support to Maintenance and Construction departments
- Recommend red-line mark-ups from design reviews
- Participates in project and design reviews with various governing agencies and peers
- Reviews vendor capability to support product development and recommends product specifications and component selection. Monitors the activities of subcontracted technical services.
Education and Experience Requirements
- B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering/Technology
- A strong background in facility infrastructure electrical systems
- Strong controls, instrumentation and power distribution background
- Experience working with engineering processes and procedures
- Experience working with drawing standards including tolerances and detail drawings
- Experience with instrumentation and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition systems (SCADA) preferred
- Experience working with overall business objectives and goals
- Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain required NASA badge.
- Must be able to provide a certified Birth Certificate (with state seal), Passport, or INS Citizenship documents on date of hire (candidate will be sent home if this paperwork is not provided upon arrival on date of hire).
- Must have the ability to communicate the English language, both verbally and written, in an effective manner.
- Must have, and maintain, a valid Texas driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass a Pre-Employment background check and drug screen test. Clean, neat, and professional personal appearance.
- Will ensure quality and completeness of work in a safe and timely manner as well as ensure areas worked are clean, neat and ready for customers needs when complete.
Special Knowledge and Skills Required
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish/maintain customer and vendor relationships
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong comprehension skills for understanding needs and developing and applying solutions
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to manage work and priorities
- Ability to troubleshoot technical problems either on-site or remotely
- Ability to work productively across diverse customer sites, with different levels of technical focus
- Ability to manage large and or multiple projects
- Ability to work harmoniously with others
- Dexterity to operate office equipment as required by the position.
- Prior knowledge of NASA site, experienced with working on government installations preferred.