*Must pass an US Federal Government Background check.
– Salary: 29.51 per hour, Benefits and paid time off
– Must be willing to work onsite and remote as needed.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
Employee shall be responsible for working with Deputy Chief Office (DCO) and Business Administrative Support Service (BASS) in the NFS in the USDA Forest Service. They shall collaborate with a top management team to develop concise methods of communication and utilize new electronic communication technology to assist the DCO and BASS in researching, drafting, editing and tracking accurate, timely responses to incoming correspondence. Personnel will also review and edit other documents processed by BASS and the DCO.
As part of the successful performance of the contract, the Writer/Editor may be required to:
• Utilize agency specific systems, such as National Correspondence Database (Mercury)
• Draft correspondence such as: acknowledgement letters, email communications to
colleagues and requesters
• Draft content for response to incoming correspondence; in collaboration with agency
subject matter experts while ensuring agency tone and tenor are accurately captured
• Work with other executive assistants and administrative support staff in NFS to handle
and maintain tracking systems for correspondence and reports, and to ensure DCO and
directors can review and sign documents with wet signatures and in a virtual
• Review correspondence, reports, and other written materials for format, grammar,
punctuation, content, quality, conformance with the Government Printing Office Style
Manual and the Office of Executive Secretariat Correspondence Manual and remove
• Work with and advise NFS office staff on matters affecting the process and flow of
• Perform follow-up from the DCO regarding tracking correspondence;
• Deliver and retrieve correspondence packages to/from the various staff areas and, at
times, other areas of the USDA Complex;
• Distribute and file documents and correspondence in both electronic and hard copy filing
• Perform other administrative tasks including copying, mailing, filing, and as needed
updating weekly spread sheet using Microsoft excel.
• Email management – Check email in-boxes for several functional areas and direct to
appropriate Agency staff, with assistance from NFS Deputy Chief office as needed.
The following skills are preferred:
• Ability to work independently using judgement to establish priorities, resolve problems,
and plan and organize work in support of the office mission;
• Works well with a team of writer/editors and able to share tasks or pick up assignments
already in progress;
• Ability to organize various tasks; maintain productivity by responding to unplanned
priorities; able to prioritize multiple tasks to meet many deadlines while handling
• Familiarity with clerical and administrative procedures and requirements;
• Proficiency in using laptop computers, software and apps; various word processing
and/or electronic publishing programs, as well as knowledge of publishing concepts,
including MS Teams, Office 365, Sharepoint, and the Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. MS
Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel).
• Interest in using these systems to increase productivity and ease of document filing and
• Proficient in using telephone conferencing and video-teleconferencing equipment, high volume
copiers and scanners, and other office equipment and software (e.g. Adobe
• Expert knowledge of grammar, plain language, and the ability to understand complex
subjects and translate the concepts into ideas that can be understood by non-subject
matter experts while avoiding contradictions;
• Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with colleagues, senior leaders and the
• Ability to successfully complete the Information Security Awareness Exam required to
access the USDA network.