Project planning and strategy: With oversight from USFWS managers, contractors will provide project/task planning, organization, and support to develop and implement communication strategies to achieve regional organizational objectives. This work will be performed with some independent actions and decision-making. These duties may be covered by multiple contractors, depending on specialized experience required. Knowledge of natural resources conservation and science communications is preferred.
- Strategic communications planning, and developing and implementing communication strategies and events that involve coordination with organizational staff and leadership
- Media relations, including pitching stories to reporters, preparing and disseminating news releases and other press materials, coordinating media interviews, and coaching subject matter experts for interviews
- Science writing and/or feature story writing (blog, social media), and communicating complex topics into interesting and understandable language
- Editing and proofreading written content produced by self and others
- Working with digital communications staff and contractors to produce multi-media products such as story maps, infographics, and videos
- Working independently to perform tasks, and as an active member of a multidisciplinary communications team to plan and complete projects
Project development: Contractors will provide technical support for communications projects to meet the following needs. Multiple contractors may fill this need when specialized qualifications are needed. Creativity will be encouraged, and work will be assigned and overseen closely by project managers. Knowledge of natural resources conservation and science communications is preferred.
- Supporting communication strategies by researching and writing content for blogs, news releases and materials for media outreach, website and social media content, brochures, and other publications
- Supporting communication strategies by researching and producing multimedia projects, including videos, story maps, and other creative digital content
- Performing tasks to support an organizational website platform transition to a content management system
- Knowledge and/or training in Dreamweaver, Drupal, SharePoint, and Adobe Acrobat preferred
- Working as part of an multidisciplinary communications team to perform tasks to support projects
Administrative support: Contractors will perform tasks to support the foundational needs of communications projects, including:
- Performing assigned tasks to organize and post website content
- Building lists and performing administrative tasks to support communication campaigns and other projects
- Knowledge and/or training in Dreamweaver, Drupal, SharePoint, and Adobe Acrobat
- Working as part of a multidisciplinary communications team to perform tasks to support projects
Hours: 32 per week, The employee is responsible for conducting business, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. (hours can vary) Monday thru Friday except Federal holidays or when the Government facility is closed due to local or national emergencies, administrative closings, or similar Government directed facility closings.