This function will provide softgoods fabrication support for the Softgoods Lab of the Bioastronautics Flight Hardware Department. Support includes the design, development and manufacture of ground support, prototype, and flight softgoods components. This function will perform other assignments or duties as required. Initial tasking will support the design and development of the next-generation lunar
space suit by creating a complex, multi-layered, multi-piece, integrated textile wearable system for US return to the moon in 2024. The Senior Softgoods technician will support the lunar spacesuit design through pattern making activities, documenting the design from prototype sketches through final release drawings, sewing based on developed patterns and providing interpretation/direction to TECS.
Softgoods technicians implementing the design. :
• Responsible for compliance with Safety, Health and Environmental plan; must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the Company’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel
• Responsible for compliance with the Quality Assurance Plan, policies and procedures
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance level as determined by the Company
• Responsible for completing all assigned training
• Support drawing production, drawing review, and redline softgoods fabrication drawings
• Develop and make patterns to aid the manufacturing of softgoods equipment.
– Translate ideas and concept to detailed patterns
– Support fittings and update patterns based on measurements taken
– Document changes to the design and patterns through the design process
• Develop, fabricate and design of prototype, training and flight softgoods equipment.
• Provide design and fabrication input for softgoods projects and to other softgoods technicians
• Assist other technicians as required.
• Extreme attention to detail
• Self-motivated, ability to work in fast-paced environment with a strong sense of urgency
Other duties as assigned:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
(must correspond with description listed on the Composite Rates and Skills Table)
1. High school diploma or equivalent plus a minimum of
7 years’ experience in softgoods fabrication industry with 5+ years of documented design/pattern-making experience
* Bachelor’s Degree in Design / Apparel Engineering / Pattern Making, or equivalent training combined with work experience
* Experience in Aerospace softgoods fabrication preferred.
Custom design and patterning experience (e.g. one or more of the following:
Bespoke tailoring (not made to measure), technical or industrial wearables (military, firefighting,
sports, etc.), other technical textile products (aircraft, automotive, architectural products etc.)
* Must be competent in the use of commercial sewing machines and other softgoods industry related equipment, for ea-ample walking foot and serger machines, on lightweight to heavyweight materials as well as precision hand sewing.
* Knowledge of fabric limitations and standard tailoring concepts, procedures and practices
* Must also be able to read engineering drawings and work to written procedures.
* Must posses good verbal and written communication skills and basic computer skills
* Pattern-making software (CAD, etc)
* Multilayer Insulation (MLI) layup, layout and fabrication experience knowledge of NASA procurement and documentation