*** Must pass a Federal Background check
***Please check location to make sure you can commute 77058.
Company Conformance Statement
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Employees are required to:
- Comply with all applicable safety- and health-related rules, policies and procedures (COVID – 19, CDC guidelines), and regulations.
- Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely.
- Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions.
- Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
Purpose of the position
Serve as a Mechanical Engineer with experience and knowledge in designing existing facilities within the government sector. Will perform assigned mechanical engineering duties as a contra contracting employee onsite at the NASA Johnson Space Center. Responsible for planning, modification, upgrading, retrofitting and conceptualization of new and existing facilities. Must be able to design and analyze hardware, components and mechanical systems for the development of new and existing facilities. Be a part of a dynamic team of Professional Engineers and Designers to perform the work assigned.
Principal Responsibilities of the Position
- Responsible for managing assigned Projects as the Project Engineer with daily interfaces with the NASA Project Manager (s). Design, analyze and monitor all mechanical related work performed as part of NASA JSC facilities service support contract. Ensure effective communications and co-ordinations between all team members and other disciplines.
- Monitor overall productivity and efficiency of assigned projects, coordinate with project team to resolve problems/issues.
- Develop plans, details, engineering calculations and technical specifications for both new mechanical design installations and modifications to existing mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of HVAC design specifications, systems, sequence of operation and control concepts.
- Perform HVAC load calculations and implement equipment sizing, duct sizing layout, pipe system design and layout including but not limited to plumbing, chilled water, heating water, steam, and condensate gas, compressed air, vacuum, lab gases, fire protection, temperature controls (DDC and pneumatic) and plumbing.
- Develops and analyzes mechanical designs for current and conceptualized hardware, components and systems. Prepares plans and drawings using design software.
- Analyzes critical areas of the design including dimensional, structural, thermal, qualification, integration, etc. to identify correct configuration, integrity and feasibility of design(s). Prepares reports of results and conclusions. Recommends and implements changes to design based on conclusion.
- Interface with suppliers, vendors/contractors and cross functional teams to ensure necessary product delivery.
- Researches new technology and/or development tools to remain informed of current technology.
- Performs job walks and prepares Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for mechanical systems.
- Prepares mechanical plans and drawings using AutoCAD/MicroStation design software.
- Participates in design reviews and implements required changes.
- Provide mechanical engineering support as required across contracting teams as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Must have Professional Engineering License with registration in the state of Texas.
- Five or more years of experience in mechanical engineering product design and development.
- Experience working with mechanical design principles and practices in existing facilities buildings.
- Familiar with local and national codes and standards
- Experience working with product design principles.
- Experience working with drawing standards including tolerances and detailed drawings.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain required NASA badge.
- Must be able to provide a certified Birth Certificate (with state seal), Passport, or INS Citizenship documents on date of hire (candidate will be sent home if this paperwork is not provided upon arrival on date of hire).
- Must have the ability to communicate the English language, both verbally and written, in an effective manner.
- Must have, and maintain, a valid Texas driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass a Pre-Employment background check and drug screen test.
- Clean, neat, and professional personal appearance.
- Will insure quality and completeness of work in a safe and timely manner as well as insuring areas worked are clean, neat and ready for Customer’s needs when complete.
Special Knowledge and Skills Required
- Skills in computer assisted design (CAD) software such as Pro/Engineer, SolidWorks, MicroStation and AutoCAD.
- Skills in computer aided engineering HAP, Trace, Elite.
- Analytical and problem solving skills for the design and testing of prototype(s) through product release.
- Organization and time management skills to maintain project deadlines.
- Interpersonal skills to interact with customers, team members, vendors and contractors.
- Communication skills to interact with internal and external personnel and to convey project intent.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. Must be able to Climb ladders.
- Dexterity to operate office and field equipment as required by the position.
- Prior knowledge of NASA site, experienced with working on government installations preferred.